In our quest to find some more healthy alternatives to ordinary sports / energy bars we came across a product called Pickybars – and I think it was the name that first really got me interested.
In ordinary sports bars there is a lot of sugars and ingredients we don’t really know a lot about or definitely shouldn’t feed our bodies with. Often the contain a lot of gluten and dairy which could not only cause problems if you have an allergy but are also potentially harder to digest – especially during workouts.
Made from athletes for athletes is a popular claim out there that has somewhat turned meaningless – a claim Lauren Fleshman and Jesse Thomas from Pickybars don’t make – even though they should. Both Lauren and Jesse are incredibly competitive athletes and their sole goal when producing Pickybars is to produce a healthy bar for every athlete.
Check out their goals / ideals in every single bar:
- Be what we consider “ideal size:” 200 calories or less. Great size for <30min post-workout recovery, one hour before exercise (or cut in half for 20-30 min before), or the perfect snack size between meals.)
- Have a 4:1 carbohydrate/protein ratio that is ideal for recovery and maximizes absorption of nutrients.
- Be gluten and dairy free (for the sake of those with intolerances, or for people who just want variety in their diet)
- Have balanced macro-nutrients (25% fat, 60% carbohydrate, 15% protein) for hunger control and happy digestion.
- Select carbohydrate sources that promote level blood sugar, sustained energy, and nutrient absorption.
- Use whole foods that are geographically nearby whenever we can.
- Minimize soy content (less than 1%) since most people get too much of it daily without realizing it.
- Provide a mixture of nuts and seeds for nutrient diversity (e.g. cashews are good for vitamin K while almonds are high in vitamin E).
We have tried all 3 versions of the Pickybars and Lauren and Jesse really pulled it off. The bars all taste great, they deliver sufficient energy for a solid workout and they are a fantastic snack for on the road. Our personal favorite certainly is the ”All in Almond”
You should try Pickybars if you have problems with gluten or dairy, if you want to enjoy an energy bar that delivers even energy, if you need a healthy snack for in between or simply if you are interested in improving your eating habits.